Here are our latest successes. We are excited to build upon these to reach more of those in need.
- Last month, 886 meals were served through the St. John's soup kitchen.
- From January 2016 to May 2016, Memphis Empty Bowls Project's newly established Perea Weekend Feeding Program provided 11,874 healthy meals and 3,958 healthy snacks to low-income families with children at Perea Preschool.
- As of this year, The Way has served 4,643 plates to our guests on Friday nights.
- On average, St. John's food pantry is purchasing from Midsouth Food Bank about 4,000 lbs of food each week for distribution from our food pantry, which usually costs us less than $200.
- Much of the food we acquire is free of charge, thanks to a special program of the USDA which provides healthy food products for agencies like ours.
- Last month, the food pantry served 232 families (481 individuals) with a 5-day supply of groceries.
- Our food pantry recently received a $2,000 donation from a private donor, which has enabled us to purchase another large freezer, as well as dozens of bus passes and small rolling carts for pantry guests who travel on foot or by bus.
Thank you to all of those who have volunteered their time and resources to support St. John's food ministries. We are humbled by the generosity of our congregation. Your commitment to serving our neighbors is a testament to the Christ-like love found within the St. John’s family.
Current Mission Needs
Donations to support these efforts are greatly appreciated. If you're looking for specific ways you can help St. John's outreach ministries, here are our current needs:
- We have an ongoing urgent need for size 4,5, and 6 diapers as well as pull-ups for Operation: Swaddling Clothes.
- Memphis Empty Bowls Project is always in need of bowl painters! Take a friend to Seize the Clay and paint a bowl to donate to the event for $12.
- We have a seasonal need for extra volunteers! Our community garden needs help weeding and harvesting produce each Saturday morning at 8 am. Looking for other ways to volunteer?